Tuesday, February 22, 2011

No projections

I don't share much in common with Punxsutawney Phil.  You know, the ground forecaster of spring.  In face, I have a fear of making projections.

This does occasionally get in the way at work, mostly when people need a projection of how much something will cost and I have no idea.  In those cases I usually hedge.

My triathlete friend Jaysun (yes spelled correctly) casually asked me this past week what my estimate for Vineman swim was.  Rather than answer his question, I decided that we should do math together.  Okay, I swim at 1:40 pace per 100 yards at the pool during long efforts, so how many yards is 2.4 miles.  Okay, now we both have our phones out and are doing math.

Okay, but that is without a wetsuit and I'm going straight.  How much faster will I be with a wetsuit and drafting a really fast whale?  But how much more will I swim using my typical swim tour style of navigation?

So in the end, we agreed that I could possibly swim between 1 hour and 1.5 hours.  Notice, we did math and I didn't answer the question.

I'm just hoping he doesn't ask about the run or bike.  I do like doing math but sooner or later he will catch on that I have a fear of committing to a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment