Thursday, April 28, 2011

Smelly Run

I love the smells on my lunch run.  As I leave my office I end up running by a bunch of cherry trees that are in bloom.  As I enter Fort Vancouver, the apple trees will soon bloom and I love the smell of grass and hay by the airport.  There is an amazing smell along the river that is hard to describe but calls to the fisherman in me.  I pass two restaurants that smell greasy but yummy.  Next I run through the woods which are damp but smell green.  Finally I run through a little park, past a bunch of homes with flowers and I'm back to my office.

You get the picture, I have one of those runs which makes it pleasant and habit forming to breath deep and notice smells.

This smelling habit kind of got the best of me today because I kept running into smokers in the midst of all this great smelling beauty.  I think I'd rather smell flatulence rather than cigarette smoke when I'm running.

There is somthing about cigarette smoke that makes me feel angry at and sad for the person at the same time.  They could be spending that money buying triathlon gear.  They could use all their smoke breaks to train.

Just seems like a waste and I wish I only had memories of spring smells rather from my run today.

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! I run usually before 5:30 a.m. and am always amazed when a car drives me wafting cigarette smoke - what a way to start your morning. Even more amazing are the cars that waft the scent of pot. At 5:30 a.m.? Really?!?

    Thankfully, my neighborhood runs are usually more pleasant - citrus blossoms, mock orange hedges in bloom, night blooming jasmine and, my favorite smell of all, what I like to call "wet rainforest."

    ReplyDelete