Wednesday, April 27, 2011

25 minutes is better than 0 minutes

I had great intentions for training yesterday.  It was supposed to start off with a 5:00 AM trainer ride for 110 minutes with a 10K run over lunch. 

By the time the clock struck 9:30 PM I had zero, zilch, nada, no minutes of training for the day.  I also knew that if I tried to fit it all in at that point that I would have zero, zilch, nada, no minutes of training today because I wouldn't get any sleep.  So I rode my trainer for 25 minutes, drank some chocolate milk and went to bed.

I was able to wake up just fine this morning for my 5:00 AM swim and I'm back on track.

I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of guy and I see yesterday as a victory because I actually did what I could on a day that really was out of control.

So I'm 25 minutes better trained for my next race and that is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same type of personality where if I can't train according to the volume that I'm expecting that day then I'll skip out. But forcing those "mini sessions" in, no matter how small, helps mentally for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed it that the benefit is probably more mental then physical however, over time they do add up. I was probably on Plan D and I'd hate to see what Plan F looked like.

    ReplyDelete