Monday, January 31, 2011

Do I buy into the Free Range Movement for my kids?

I'm currently reading Free Range Kids (http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/) which is Lenore Skenazy's attempt at helping parents stop hovering over their kids and instead focus on preparing their kids for life.

Not sure I buy into everything but so far, I think I'm a fan.  Our goal in parenting isn't to raise fearful kids but that seems to be what a lot of us are accomplishing. 

I like to take calculated risks.  I've jumped from planes, started flying planes at age 15, owned a motorcycle, kayak, mountain bike and I ride a road bike on the road (well I don't plan on staying on the trainer more than I have to).  I also consider myself safety minded.  I wear a helmet, seat belt, life jacket not all at once, but you understand.  I scout rapids, avoid certain roads, and wear bright colors.  I watch carefully for cars and typically have a plan.

I want my girls to be confident and not afraid of the world.  I also want them to be active and explore and enjoy the thrills of life.  Yet I don't want them to be reckless. 

This book is helping me understand more about preventable risks and not focus as much on the extremely unlikely unpreventable type of risk that can paralyze a parent.

If you are like me, you probably struggle with some of these things also.  Any help would be appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment