Tuesday, July 5, 2011

One of these groups is not like the other

In the past month I have been at Boise 70.3 and Pacific Crest Endurance Weekend and the Fourth of July Celebration at Fort Vancouver.  All of these events included large crowds, cheering, lines for porta potties and people baring way to much skin.

Being at Boise and Pac Crest had set a subtle new stereotype for me that was completely smashed at the 4th of July event.  I'm not trying to be judgmental, just observant but I find that as I type, erase, and type the following sentence that you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of person I am.

I thought people in general were getting thinner and more fit but the reality is appears that people in general are way more fat,/obese than I ever imagined AND they appear to be multiplying. 

I know there are many reasons for being obese and that certain skinny people are just as unhealthy under the skin, but it is clear that there is a problem.

I think what made it hard is that after several weeks of being around a bunch of generally healthy people, it was hard to be in a crowd of people that apparently didn't care about their health or the health of their kids.  The fourth is also a time for families to be together and it wasn't uncommon to see three generations frolicking in the grass together and then struggling to get back up. 

So, I'm not sure what the point of this observation is, other than that it was really eye opening.

It also caused some fear and I don't like to be afraid.  Not fear that I would be smashed but fear about how this will affect my family, country, health care.  Something needs to be done in our communities to help these kids who seem destined for a life of challenges brought on by being overweight.

Any ideas on what I can do other than watch? 

No comments:

Post a Comment