Friday, December 10, 2010

Training turned to fun

I've been in Ashville NC area traveling for work for the past week.  It was the typical long days and late nights of meetings but I was able to sneak away for two runs.  It was freezing on the first day and my motivation and energy were low.  Add to that, I didn't know where to go and all options pointed up.

I finally got out and started up - hoping to find some trails and enjoy the mountains.  Up is hard work and my legs and lungs were hating it.  However, as I climbed I started to be flooded with memories from when I was a kid hiking with my family.  I grew up in Japan and our trails were pretty much dirt with occasional huge rocks.  My older brothers and I would run like crazy pretending to be on motorcycles and launching off the rocks. We called it "Jumping Motocycles". 

Well, I was climbing so I only grunted as I tried to get up the rocks but those thoughts really helped get me up the hill.  On the way down, the fun started and I started to play again.  I gingerly launched (more like a slight hop) off a rock and then I couldn't stop myself.  I didn't make motorcycle noises but I wish I had. 

I ran for an hour and had a great time.  Yesterday I ran for another 1:40 and it felt like a short jog.  I had a great time.  I wonder why running and biking don't feel the same at home?  I wish they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment